What is overlapping walls and how to avoid it

floorplans.trace

19 Nov, 2013 06:23 AM

Subject says it all!
I simply don't understand how to make a wall without over lapping. I thought the centers should snap together and no problem. But that does not seem to be the case. Much frustration with this one.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Max on 20 Nov, 2013 06:19 PM

Hi,

Overlapping walls occur when the geometry of one wall intersects another, but they are not joined in space. To create a join both walls have to be right angled (horizontal or vertical). In the Settings menu (gear icon), under guides, you will find options to increase the snapping strength, or to highlight angled walls (ones that can't be snapped together) . This might be helpful to you.

• Max
  2. 2 Posted by floorplans.trac... on 20 Nov, 2013 08:49 PM

"both walls have to be right angled" - this is a major limitation since not all structures are right angled. Why cant the line ends snap together regardless of angle?

In the case where a line should be grid aligned but is not, a tool to make it so would be good. i.e. Align to grid vertical, Align to grid horizontal.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Max on 20 Nov, 2013 10:26 PM

Hi,

You can still snap angled walls together at their ends (vertices). You can drag the end of one angled wall onto the end of another. Its just that you can't join angled walls in the middle.

Grid alignment is a great suggestion. It is a feature we've contemplating adding.

• Max
  4. 4 Posted by kcomfort on 04 Mar, 2015 06:24 AM

I can't figure out how to get angled walls to the same angle, so they will have the same dimensions, any ideas?

5. 5 Posted by RJ on 15 Jul, 2019 05:28 PM

TIP: I build a lot of temporary boxes (horiz & vert lines) in order to align walls properly. It’s a pain but it really helps when working with angles. Unfortunately, building ‘angled walls’ is one of the weakest parts of this app.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac